Monday, May 13, 2019

What if Game of Thrones is Just a Game?


What was there to be disappointed with Season 8 Episode 5 of Game of Thrones? I was not disappointed. The show went pretty much as I expected.
The hand wringing and wrenching angst of Tyrion and Jon Snow over the last three weeks made it obvious they weren’t as confident as they claimed to be about ‘their Queen’ and her oncoming volatile mental state, which was predicted early on with the oft repeated line of her father, the Mad King before his own death, “Burn them all”.
I won’t wax on about character arcs and how the Game of Thrones writers and company should have played this out. I enjoyed the ride and will see it through to the end and over and over until I cancel my HBO subscription. My personal investment of time with this series has been one of self-indulgent suspension of reality.
 If I find fault with any entity it is with HBO. HBO should have expanded the 6 weeks to 10. The shortened 6 week schedule I believe is partly the basis for the full on fabulous CGI festival that has been showcased – I’ve seen some of the set construction for demolition and the green screen at Titanic Studios in Belfast, it is a mammoth production site. No dialogue or scene set up was ever going to do justice to the special effects work.
So, here is what I am proposing as to how the last episode MIGHT end. Feel free to chime in as to whether you agree or disagree.
If the title of the last episode is titled, “Spring after the long Winter”:
  • Arya will kill  Daenerys for destroying Kings Landing and all the innocents.
  • Sansa will take over the throne, since Jon and Bran don’t want it. Tyrion will be her hand.
  • Arya Stark has a Baratheon baby after her one night stand with Gendry, melding the two houses as predicted in the first season.
  • Brienne of Tarth presents a Lannister bastard baby, a potential heir apparent, but she has no regal aspirations, so she will remain close to Arya and Sansa.
  •   Jon Snow leaves it all behind and return to the rebuild the Wall and the Knights Watch.

·         Throughout the series, women have been consistently some of the strongest characters. That might play out to the end.
At the end, regardless how inane it might turn out, I have enjoyed the ride in suspending reality for and hour or two every week.

1 comment: